Thursday, August 30, 2012

I Wanna Be A Billionaire So Freakin' Bad

We read an article entitled Of Brainiacs and Billionaires. While reading the article, there were words that kind of made your brain "hiccup" if you didn't know what they meant.

After reading through the first two or three sentences, I got a little lost. The author was using big words that I didn't understand. Slowly but surely, I started to use context clues and understand it more. Words like "cognitive" threw me off in the beginning. Using context clue after context clue, I pieced together the clues to kind of make a definition for the word so I could understand it more.

Why do they use such ginormous words? They use those words to test your knowledge of how to use context clues. Throughout the passage, you find words like "cognitive." By using your clues you can try to verify what the words actually mean.

For me, this article was to complicated and advanced for my brain to process. Even though I've tried using big words, I've never seen big words like those of usage in this passage. Good for some, not good for others. Don't get me wrong, I'm always looking for new ways to expand my vocabulary.











Finding new ways to expand your vocabulary is kind of like giving your brain a work out.  Sometimes, after a long day at school, my brain is tired and doesn't really like to think. Other days, I'm just thinking about anything and everything.

Next time you are reading a paper or article and you come across a word you don't understand, use this little thing called context clues.

No comments:

Post a Comment